Tuesday, November 20, 2007

All I want for Christmas is...

The lead up to Xmas is probably one of the most annoying times of year!
Why? Because working in retail there is so much shit you have to deal with...
People have some weird switch in them that changes n poof they are complete PSYCHOS!

It amused me one year, when I was about 16 and working at a supermarket. It had just hit 6:00pm on Xmas Eve n I was dealing with a customer who couldn't understand 2 things, the first being why we didn't have anymore blueberries... hello it's 6 o'clock on Xmas Eve, maybe if you came in the morning like everyone else you may have gotten some.
The second issue was why we weren't open on Xmas Day, bcoz this customer may need to go to the supermarket!

I've worked in retail for 5 years now n each year the customers get better n better! Ok, so maybe people are under stress but seriously... have you forgotten the "true" meaning of Xmas.
Which don't even get me started on the true meaning of Xmas... though I guarantee you mine is different to ur's (I'm not at all religious... that's why we won't go into it).

Back to reatil though, ok like I said I get it ur stressed but is yelling at a possibly hungover, teenage sales assistant really going to make it any easier. People forget that we have feelings too. I know it's hard to believe but sales assistants are actually human and the biggest shock of all, we actually have lives outside of the stores we work in!

So if you plan to go shopping in the lead up to the silly season, which I'm sure you will, let me offer you a bit of advice:
  • We (the sales assistants) have been working longer hours, we are tired too n we stand on our feet all day, so if we move a little bit slower than the speed of light don't comment on how slow the service is!
  • If you are rude to me I will make u look like the worst person on the planet in front of other customers.
  • I don't care who ur father, husband, uncle, brother is... I care about u giving me ur money so I can make my budget n not get yelled at!
  • If I tell you that I don't have what you would like in stock, believe what I am saying, I've probably had 50 other customers ask as well, don't stick ur head into my backroom or call me liar, I really don't think that will make me want to help u any further.
  • If u insist on bringing children into the store, keep an eye on them, I don't get paid to babysit as well.
  • Finally, the most important thing treat me with respect and smile, then maybe u will be the one person who makes my day n I will help u as best I can. N I do remeber customers, so I will always treat the same... Like a human being, how I expect to be treated!

Ok, so now that I've gotten that off my chest, hopefully people will remember this when they go out shopping!

Till next blog,

M.

2 comments:

Peter Podcast said...

Cant stand Xmas.
Get that printed on a tshirt and wear it too work.

rosalie said...

hahahaha you totally explained my weekend!!! very descriptive....loved it!!
god customers are annoying.
i served a lady and she was holding her baby. when it came to paying, she asked me to hold her baby (who wasn't exactly the cleanest of all babies) while she got her wallet.
crying babies and me don't go too well bahaha